3rD-LIFE aims to improve the quality of life of ageing people providing them with a virtual tool for interacting with other users and other functionalities which will be achieved through the development of a tool consisting in a 3D virtual environment especially adapted to be used by ageing people. With only a computer and an internet connection, they will be able to, from their own homes and through their own voices, communicate with other users, make audio and video calls to real world terminals and have a more joyful and active live thanks to the applications that will be implemented.
3D Simulation Platforms
The users will be represented as avatars, since the accessibility, usability and navigation will be central points. The target group is mainly people from 60 to 75 years old without specific cognitive problems.
The operative objectives of the project will be:
- To develop a fully functional 3-dimensional computer simulation platform
- To design and create the content of the platform on 3D environment that will constitute the functionalities, visual aspect and interaction possibilities
- To include existing tools and applications (interoperability), through new adaptations to be used in the 3D virtual environment
- To validate the final solution in pilot testings in two EU countries to ensure the reliability, usability and adaptability to the final users needs.
- To develop a detailed exploitation plan for the results of the project
- To disseminate the project results to final users, public administrations and research community.
Expected results and impact
- A 3D virtual environment for elderly people, to allow them from their own homes and with only a common PC and an Internet connection, access to a virtual world where they will establish social relationships with known or new persons, learn new things through e-learning tools, look up the latest news, play games, etc., as well as making phone and video calls.
- Pilot testing of the 3D solution with a target group of elderly users in Spain and Austria.
Partners involved in the 3rD-LIFE project
|Fundación Instituto Gerontológico Matia-INGEMA
|University of Ljubljana
|Information & Image Management Systems
|Center for usability research and engineering
- Project name: 3D VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT FOR SOCIAL INTERACTION OF ELDERLY PEOPLE
- Coordinator: Fundación INGEMA, Spain
- Duration: 18 Months
- Starting Date: 01.07.2011
- Total budget: € 1.700.000
- Public contribution: € 1.030.000
Dr. Cristina Buiza
T.: +34 943 22 46 43