AMICA aims to emulate the medical consultation at home: auscultation and interview.
To achieve this, a series of physiological signals are obtained daily by means of an ad-hoc sensor. This information is then extended by that provided by the patient interacting with a Dedicated Mobile Device (watch the TV report). By combining information coming from sensors and provided for the patient, the system is able to set off medical alarms, modify small aspects of the patients’ treatment program or lifestyle, or even suggest hospitalisation.
The Autonomy Motivation & Individual Self-Management for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) patients (AMICA) is aimed at the disease management and medical care of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease COPD patients. Its main goal is to provide medical management and medical care to patients suffering from COPD. COPD is the major cause of mortality and increased levels of disability, particularly in the elderly. AMICA’S main objective is to develop and assess long-term COPD management solutions based on innovative Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) that:
- Allows early detection of COPD exacerbations;
- Offers a user-friendly design for the elderly;
- Provides remote monitoring and home-based care;
- Fosters prevention and self-management;
- Increases levels of therapy compliance.
Expected results and impact
- Measurable indicators for early detection of exacerbations:
Design of AMICA Dedicated Mobile Device, Medical questionnaire and ad hoc sensor.
- Measurable indicators for a better quality of life by mean of drops in hospitalisations and subsequent:
Decrease in costs associated to COPD
- Effects upon quality of life of patients and family environment.
- Identify measurable indicator for AMICA services and business concept viability.
Partners involved in the AMICA project
- Project name: Autonomy Motivation & Individual Self-Management for COPD patients
- Website: http://www.amica-aal.com
- Coordinator: Luis Felipe Crespo Foix University of Cadiz (Spain)
- Duration: 36 Months
- Starting Date: 01.04.2009
- Total budget: € 2.941.362
- Public contribution: € 2.784.181
Luis Felipe Crespo Foix
T.: +0034 956015710