Buddy4All provides cross-generational, virtual and professional support for both – older and younger adults – in a way that has never been available before. It will introduce three unique innovations: (1) a multi-tiered buddy network that focuses on cross-generational interaction, support, and experience exchange where both – younger adults and older adults – can profit from each other; (2) MR location-based games that can be played together with remote partners; (3) combined cognitive and physical trainings.
The involved end-user organizations Gedächtnistrainingsakademie (brain training academy, AT), terzStiftung (non-profit organisation for older adults, CH) and Jugendinitiative Triestingtal (youth organization, AT) will bring in their long-standing experience in elderly care, cognitive training and youth work and will participate actively in the design and development process of the novel Buddy4All solution. They will also perform and participate in field trials as “professional buddies”.
Buddy4All aims at fostering the wellbeing and active lifestyle of older adults. It motivates them to keep their mind and body trained via cognitive-physical exercises and supportive and fun cross-generational activities. It also addresses younger adults who want to contribute to society and profit from the life experience of the older generation. Using a mobile app and novel mixed reality glasses, Buddy4All targets (a) cross-generational connection of older and younger adults, (b) cognitive-physical training, (c) a combination of virtual, professional and cross-generational support.
Expected results and impact
The Buddy4All platform will include different components to bring buddies (elderlies and younger adults) together and provides virtual and professional help:
- Buddy Dashboard: users can post needs/requests, connect to buddies to play MR location-based games or cooperate in cognitive-physical exercises.
- Virtual Buddy Support: providing support in daily activity, goal settings and achievements.
- Professional Buddy Support: for sensible questions and issues – regardless of whether the user is an older adult or a younger person.
An intense user-driven development process will ensure usability for the target group.
By the end of the project a licence based-model for the Buddy4All software solution will be made available to secondary end-users.
Partners involved in the project
- Project name: A platform to promote social inclusion and support by offering cross-generational activities and advise (Buddy4All)
- Coordinator: Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH (Austria)
- Duration: 30 months
- Starting Date: 03/2022
- Total budget: € 2 100 000
- Public contribution: € 1 250 000
T.: +43 664 8251374