The CuARdian Angel 2 project builds on findings from earlier projects. It focuses on the use of advanced vehicle technology to help ageing drivers remain safely, comfortably and independently mobile. The CARA 2 core technology contains a platform on which 3 services are active: a validated SelfTest, a driving monitoring and advice tool and a routing assistant. In this way older drivers can be provided with concrete advice on their driving style and improve this when necessary.
Within CARA 2, the focus lies on the further development of concepts into marketable products based on the findings of the earlier CuARdian Angel (1) project. Through different forms of interactions and testing, CARA 2 gains knowledge on the precise (safety and mobility) problem the ageing population experiences, the conditions that may need to be met before using such advanced vehicle technology, and advanced insight in the use of possible solutions.
An increasing number of adults aged 55 and more can be found driving on European roads. Despite the correlation between ageing and physical and cognitive problems, most ageing people still like to drive. They require tailor-made solutions in order to keep on driving independently in a safe, comfortable and stress-less way. Maintaining mobile for a longer period of time has many advantages, such as maintaining independent, with an active life style and social life. The goal of the project is to develop and evaluate (innovative) services to support older adults to drive safe for a longer period of time.
Expected results and impact:
On the long term, the following societal impacts are expected:
- To allow ageing car users to maintain mobile for a longer period of time, under safer conditions, by using tools that allow them to drive more comfortably and with less stress.
- To provide stakeholders with a measurable basis to identify safe and unsafe behaviour, which can be used for different target groups.
Within the project we expect:
- To develop close-to-marketable products (TRL 7 or 8) that provide the ageing drivers with the support they need or want.
- To advance the ageing car user’s acceptance of the use of such systems
- To trigger secondary and tertiary end-users in using the to-be developed tools.
Partners involved in the project
- Project name: CuARdian Angel 2 (CARA 2)
- Website: https://www.cuardian-angel.eu/
- Coordinator: F2S2
- Duration: 18 months
- Starting date: 12/2019
- Total budget: € 1.630.000
- Public contribution: € 1.000.000
T.: 0032 495 27 06 18