EasyReach is an innovative and sustainable ICT solution to allow elderly and less educated people to participate in the benefits of IT-based social interactions.
The project builds a system, called EasyReach that supports many styles of social interaction between users provide them an easy way to organize groups of people that already know each other, create groups of people that care for a certain common topic, organize groups for the purpose of ‘interfacing’ with real world social groups and organize help sessions where a skilled user helps or train others.
The services of EasyReach also provide elderly people with proper means for support of interactions like appointments and things to-do, automatic structure and maintain user’s information, monitor of users’ quality of interaction in order to provide feedback and foster new interactions.
The use of TV as the core communication interface device and a simple remote control for accessing the services, EasyReach becomes an especially accessible system, easy to install, configure and apply in every-day life.
Download the poster of the project
EasyReach targets in:
- Keeping people socially active, increasing the number and the quality of contacts proposing users to join new groups;
- Supporting elder people in becoming the leader of a group of people he or she is “consulting” for on the basis of past work experience, by creating the right frameworks to pass along the knowledge that comes with experience:
- Helping a user remembering and organizing activities of any kind (not only the social interaction activities that are provided by EasyReach);
- Managing the interaction between a real community and a person that belonged to that community but, for physical reasons, cannot participate anymore;
The system will tangibly improve the quality of life of home-bound users by preserving existing relationships; boosting self-esteem of users; helping users in performing common activities.
Expected results and impact
EasyReach requires and will bring an advancement of knowledge in three areas:
- Breaking the remote control usability barrier: going beyond on/off, changing channels and volume controls;
- Devising new IT social interaction models.
- Investigating automatic ways of supporting user interaction.
Project name: EasyReach – Fostering social interactions of home-bound and less educated elderly people
Coordinator: University of Milano Bicocca
Duration: 28 Months
Starting Date: November 1, 2010
Total budget: € 3.190.173
Public contribution: € 1.582.887
Dr. Matteo Alessandro Dominoni
P: +39 02 96175237
Via Saul Banfi, Saronnno,
VA Italy 21047