Elderly citizens living in nursing homes often suffer from poor oral health. This is due to difficulties in maintaining a sufficient level of personal oral hygiene; mainly the omission of the brushing of teeth and/or dental prostheses, combined with difficulties associated with having regular access to professional dental care.
In the HELP ME BRUSH PROJECT we provide a group of nursing home residents with electrical toothbrushes which are modified to allow for data collection to a server. From here, we provide statistics and calm reminders to the caregiving staff, in order to remind them that a resident has not yet received the necessary brushing. The solution was requested and co-created with dentists, caregivers, elderly and relatives, and the results of this innovative project will hopefully be useful for reaching a higher level of oral care, avoiding hospitalisations, and reducing the strain on public and private care providers and hospitals. throughout all of Europe.
An estimated 90% of elderly nursing-home residents suffer from poor oral hygiene caused by missing or low-quality mechanical tooth brushing efforts, which leads to an increased occurrence of pneumonia and other diseases. The HELP ME BRUSH PROJECT will build and evaluate a new and innovative ICT-based care product for improving the oral hygiene of elderly residents living in a nursing home by identifying residents that have not received the minimum oral care needed and remind the caregivers to facilitate the missing tooth brushing.
Expected results and impact
- A significant “improvement in adherence-level compared to citizens own baseline measured as number of brushing actions (number) and length (seconds/brushing-actions)”
- A high “citizens’ level of satisfaction with the solution# (using a Likert scale)
- A high “caregiver staffs’ level of satisfaction with the solution” (Likert scale)
- A high “clinical dentist staffs’ level of satisfaction with the solution” (Likert scale))
- A high “relatives’ level of satisfaction with the solution” (Likert scale)
- Net earnings of EUR 3 million by 2020, corresponding to a total ROI of 50% by 2020
Partners involved in the project
- Project name: HELP ME BRUSH – IMPROVING ORAL CARE IN NURSING HOMES
- Website: www.aliviate.dk\helpmebrush
- Coordinator: Mr. ESBEN HUNNERUP, CEO of ALIVIATE DEVELOPMENT APS, DENMARK (ALIVIATE)
- Duration: 6 months
- Starting date: 12/2018
- Total budget: € 260.000
- Public contribution: € 200.000
T.: +45 2085 9180