Over 21% of the elders suffering from dementia are exposed to polypharmacy. Both medication prescription and medication adherence tend to be a huge challenge in case of
- It can be difficult for medical professionals to properly assess the behavioural and psychological symptoms of the elderly patient;
- Due to cognitive decline, it tends to be challenging for the patient to take the appropriate medication at the right time.
MedGUIDE is a digital platform that brings together informal caregivers, medical professionals, pharmacists and the patients themselves. The platform will collect information from the local care network (patient, family, informal caregivers), both through self-reporting and sensor data collection. The self-reports and sensors will report on physical activity, sleeping patterns, movement habits, nutrition and social interaction aspects and medication intake and adherence to the prescribed therapy. The combination of the ‘human perspective’ and the ‘sensor perspective’ will provide an up to date view of the state and needs of the elderly patients. Furthermore, MedGUIDE will use big data analysis to detect changes in patients’ routines, in order to minimize side effects of medication.
MedGUIDE is a European innovation project that provides an innovative approach to supporting seniors with dementia with their medication adherence through smart pill boxes and social networking. The project aims to help elders with mild cognitive impairments living at home by:
- Providing insight in the actual needs of elders with dementia (based on input from the patient, the network of informal caregivers, and contextual data from IoT devices);
- Provide insight in actual medication use, side effects and adherence;
- Provide support for improving the care and medication adherence through direct reminders and personalised roadmaps leveraging the network of informal caregivers.
Expected results and impact:
The MedGUIDE product brings together all actors in the chain of health and pharmaceutical care interested in improving the care and wellbeing of people with dementia through better medication management. Considering that over 60% of people with dementia in Europe have trouble with over- and under-treatment of dementia-related medications, the target market of MedGUIDE is significant. The MedGUIDE business model targets professional care providers (e.g. pharmacy networks), who can use MedGUIDE to improve medication management and thereby better support their elderly patients. Furthermore, the consortium aims to also directly target health insurers, since the high-level efficiency gains can only be incentivized on a meta-level.
|ConnectedCare Services BV||SME||The Netherlands||www.connectedcare.nl|
|KARDE AS||End user||Norway||www.karde.no|
|Hogeschool Utrecht||R&D||The Netherlands||www.hu.nl|
|Dutch Institute for Rational Use of|
|End USer||The Netherlands||www.medicijngebruik.nl|
|Technical University of Cluj-Napoca||R&D||Romania||www.utcluj.ro|
|Materia Group – AgeCare||End USer||Cyprus||www.materia.com.cy|
Coordinator: Connectedcare Services b.v.
Duration: 30 Months
Starting Date: 01 February 2017
Total budget: € 2.039.024
Public contribution: € 1.289.710
dr. Martijn Vastenburg
Phone +31-6-2427 3446