The key building block of the platform is what we call the smartTRV. The smartTRV is a smart version of the current eTRVs. It is equipped with a set of technologies to understand the environment and the user needs and to wirelessly communicate with other smartTRVs installed on other radiators or with other different devices, such as smartphones/tablets and wearable computing devices (e.g. smartwatches, wristbands, etc.).
The SmartHeat system will be equipped with several technological building blocks, such as:
- Intelligent algorithms which allow the system to learn the user habits/needs and the environmental conditions (room temperature and humidity, presence, light, proximity, etc.) and to control the heating system accordingly in an automatic way.
- A Web and smartphone application in order for the secondary users (e.g. informal carers) to remotely interact with the system via the Internet when being outside the home.
- Wearable computing devices which allow the system to optimise the home heating conditions also based on biometric and other user parameters.
- An adaptive central display with usable interfaces which allow the elderly people to interact with the system in a user friendly way. User friendliness for older citizens will also be guaranteed by voice recognition functionality which allows users to interact with the system using his/her voice.
- The system allows users to have knowledge of environmental parameters, such as temperature, humidity, etc. and of the gas consumption of every radiator. This functionality has the objective to encourage prevention, improve self-management and to sensitise older adults on energy and gas saving issues.